Ocean Sports - Mid-Morning Whale Watch
Cruise along the Big Island's Kohala Coast and watch whales up close. The mid-morning light makes for fantastic photo opportunities.
A trained naturalist on board will share interesting whale facts, and you can listen to the whale songs via an underwater hydrophone. This cruise includes crunchy snacks and soft drinks.
- Experience a whale watch cruise along the beautiful Kohala Coast
- Plenty of great photo opportunities
- Crunchy snacks and soft drinks
- Complimentary roundtrip transportation from most Kohala Coast resorts
- Where and When:
- Tour time: 9:30 am to 11:00 pm
Check in at 9:00 am at the Kawaihae Whale Center, Kawaihae Harbor, Waimea, HI 96743
Whale Center Directions:
From the Kona International Airport, turn left on Highway 19. Stay on the Highway for approximately 40 minutes. Eventually, youll come to a T-intersection with a stop sign. Turn left (towards Kawaihae), on Highway 270. Stay on the road for about 1.5 miles (youll go around a curve and down a hill past the entrance to the harbor). As the road Y-intersects, youll see the Ocean Sports store on the right. You can park in the lot or across the road along the green fence.
- Operation Days:
- Operates daily from December 15 through April 15
- 1.5 hours
- Ocean Sports
- There are no specific restrictions for this activity.
- Special Notes:
- Whale sightings (December 15 April 15) are guaranteed! See a humpback or you can ride again for FREE! (Promoted and authorized by Ocean Sports and may be changed at any time).
If you are staying at a hotel from where pick-up is not available, you will be set up for driving out and checking in.
Ocean Sports is proud to follow the federal guidelines protecting humpback whales. We won't approach the whales closer than 100 yards or maneuver in ways that would alter their behaviors.