Captain Zodiac - Whale Watch
Zodiac rafts are known as the perfect vessel for watching whales. You sit much closer to the ocean's surface, allowing you an eye level experience, and everyone gets a front row seat! Zodiac rafts can also move faster and get you into the perfect viewing position quickly. Simply put, watching whales frolic in the warm Hawaiian waters from a Zodiac is an amazing experience.
Your captain will also share fascinating insights on the whales' behavior and get you as close to them as possible and allowed (adhering to Federal MMPA viewing regulations). You can also listen to hydrophones relaying the whales' communication with one another.
- Watch humpback whales along the Big Island's Kona Coast
- See lava tubes, blowholes, sea caves and archways along the rugged coastline
- Small group atmosphere allows for a personal and intimate tour
Captain Zodiac Raft
- Where and When:
- Morning Tour: Check in at 7:45 am. Departs at 8:00 am and returns at 11:00 am.
Sunset Tour on Tuesdays: Check in at 3:15 pm. Departs at 3:30 pm and returns around 6:00 - 6:30 pm.
Check in at Honokohau Harbor View Map
Driving directions: Honokohau Marina and small boat harbor is located approximately 5 miles south of the Kona Airport (fourth traffic light) and approximately 2 miles north of the town of Kailua-Kona (third traffic light). The harbor entrance (Kealakehe Parkway) can be found by looking for a sign on the highway marked HONOKOHAU MARINA between mile markers 97 & 98. After turning onto Kealakehe Parkway make your first right and look for a mall with a blue tile roof. Our office is the first on the right in the mall.
- Operation Days:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday from December 17 through April 1
Sunset time is only available Tuesdays
- 3 hours
- Captain Zodiac
- 16 passengers
- Tour is on a 24-foot Zodiac raft that is U.S. Coast Guard certified and inspected yearly by the U.S. Coast Guard.
- Children must be at least 4 years old to participate.
Due to the bouncy nature of the ride, pregnant women or people with back or neck problems may not participate.
- Special Notes:
- This tour might not be available if a cruise ship is visiting Kona on the day of your requested tour day.